Sunday, March 26, 2006

Straits Kitchen at the Grand Hyatt (Singapore)


By the time I checked into the Grand Hyatt Singapore, the hotel's coffee shop had gone through a renovation and re-opened as the current Straits Kitchen. Not having been to Singapore and/or stayed at this hotel for more than a decade, I had no recollection of how the coffee shop used to be, but the renovated version sure looked alive.

There are many stations for both western fare and different ethnic food, but most of the taste was mediocre at best. The exception goes for the South Asian
counter that was tucked in a corner so remote that I had missed it on the first morning. The Roti Prata, Naan and Dal were freshly made; I should know, because I saw them make 'em. The condiments that went with these breads were a treat!

One of my complaints was that my friend and I kept getting hassled at having to sign the bills about 30 minutes before the end of the breakfast period. I would not mind if they lay the bill to sign on the table and just let us be. We would sign it when we were ready. Instead, the staff kept coming around to check and to ask us to sign it right away. Keep it there until I am ready to sign! It made me miss the Amanresorts, whose policy was for the guests not to have to sign anything during the stay. That way it makes you feel like you are at home: eat and then leave. They know who you are; but alas, I am comparing apples and oranges.

The Straits Kitchen at the Grand Hyatt Singapore
10 Scotts Road
Singapore 228211
Tel: +65 6732 1234

M-Su: 06:30-24:00